About

Stepney Meeting House United Reformed Church is a small and historic congregation in the heart of the East End of London.

We are a union of the former Stepney Meeting House Congregational Church founded in 1644, and John Knox Presbyterian Church of England whose origins lie in the Presbyterian Meeting Houses of Wapping in the 1670s.

The United Reformed Church began as a union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England in 1972, and in 1974 the two Stepney congregations decided that being so close to each other , on Stepney Way, they should join together as one congregation in one building.

A more detailed history of the two congregations can be found on the respective pages.